You may recognize these names if you vape but for those who aren’t really in the know and would like to be, then I’ll be your guide into this world of vaping. So, Atomizer, Cartomizer, and Clearomizer are devices that you screw on a battery or power supply to deliver e-juice (e-liquid) in a vapour form. These devices are the three devices used in this industry and all three type of devices work on the same principle of heating e-juice to a temperature of vaporization.
When it comes to the best of the three, there is no real winner since some people prefer one over the other, and each has its own pros and cons which we will discuss in more detail.
Atomizers are one of the original devices. They have a fairly small capacity and are best for people who prefer dripping. There are different design but the majority of atomizers have a heating coil on the bottom with metal mesh on top of the coil. Some atomizers utilize silica wick instead of metal mesh.
Pros of atomizers
- Perfect for dripping, which means that you can switch between different flavours of juices pretty fast
- Simple design
- Low cost
- Easy to refill
Cons of an Atomizer
- If you vape a lot, you need to continuously refill an atomizer
- Some models of atomizers are rebuildable but require considerable skill
- Hard to track the amount of e-juice left inside
Cartomizers are similar in design to the atomizer. The big difference is that cartomizers have polyfill wrapped around a heating coil, a polyfill soaks e-juice and it allows for longer vape time over atomizer. There are some designs of cartomizers that are housed inside a larger cylindrical tank that holds an even larger capacity of e-juice. Nice right?
- Hold more e-juice over an atomizer
- Low cost
- Easy to refill
- Fairly easy to rebuild
Cons of a Cartomizer
- Might not be suitable for heavy vaping.
- Some people claim that polyfill material dulls the e-juice flavour
- May retain from the previous e-juice
Clearmizers are one of the newest and most popular devices on the market today. These type of devices are usually cylindrical and feature a clear polycarbonate plastic or pyrex glass tank. A clear tank allows you to see the level of e-juice inside of a clearomizer, which is a nice feature.
E-juice is delivered to the heating coil by ways of a silica wick and some designs feature top heating coil with longer wicks, others have bottom placed heating coil with short wicks which allow for easier wick saturation.
- Large capacity for e-juice, typically around 1.6 – 3ml
- Clear tank allows you to see the exact amount of e-juice left inside of the clearomizer
- Some models are rebuildable, and come with replaceable coil
- Longer life-cycle
- Some people claim that clearmizers with wick system offer superior flavour delivery
Cons of an Clearomizer
- Usually more expensive than atomizers or cartomizers
- May retain flavour from the previous e-juice
- May leak depending on manufacturer and model
- Top coil design may require you to tip clearomizer to absorb leftover e-juice